Search engine optimization includes both on-page and off-page factors. These elements feed into the hidden formula called an algorithm that the popular search engines use to calculate a website’s page ranking on the search engine results page. A higher page ranking means greater visibility for a website and more opportunities for searchers to click the web page link and visit a website.
Most website owners focus heavily on the search engine optimization elements on the web pages themselves. It’s easier to control these factors, for example, and thus it’s easier to implement them.
But the popular search engines also know that while it’s easier for webmasters to control these elements, it’s also easier for site owners to manipulate them. To counter this, the search engines also examine off-page factors which are not often within a website owner’s direct control.
What are Off Page SEO Factors?
According to Search Engine Land, there are four major off-page SEO factors that influence page rank. These include:
- Links: Where are links into your site coming from? How many links are there? Are the links coming from trusted websites with great authority, such as news sites or university websites, or are they from low-quality sites? Quality and quantity count when search engines examine links as an off-page SEO factor.
- Social: Social media signals are an important off-page SEO factor. Do you have social media presences on respected sites? If so, do you frequently share content there – and are your fans and followers also sharing your links and engaging with your content?
- Trust: How long has the website been in existence? Are pages on the site frequently shared?
- Personal: What country, state and locality is the business website located in? Do they have a local online presence? Reviews? Do visitors return to the site frequently?
How to Improve Off Page SEO Factors
Before attempting to improve your website’s off-page factors, do you have a clear picture of where your site stands today? If not, consider working with an experienced internet marketing agency that can help you frame your strategy in terms of growth and goals. Setting off on an improvement plan without understanding where you stand today wastes time and money, and can actually harm your site if you change things that are working well.
A knowledgeable internet marketing firm will begin with an assessment of your place today online and offline. They will examine these four factors in great detail, drilling down to the specifics of each to determine how successful your site is to date. Next, they will formulate a plan that may include one or more of the following:
- Link-building campaign: A campaign of press releases, article marketing and other content marketing can create effective back links to your website.
- Social media marketing: A focused, strategic social media marketing plan can improve off-page social signals for search engine optimization.
- Trust: While you can’t age a site any faster than it is, you may be able to purchase existing, related websites that have a higher trust factor. Other strategies can be used to improve trust.
- Personal: Local search marketing, reviews and other signals can be improved over time.
This may seem like a daunting task, but there are professionals who can help your business examine its off-page SEO factors and recommend improvements based upon your site’s current data. Dashboard Internet Marketing has a team of internet marketing, SEO, content marketing, and other experts who can work with you to help you achieve your business’ ROI goals. Call us today at 800-807-1852 to discuss how we can help.